Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Beginning

I decided to start this blog to chronicle our lives together as we continue our TTC journey.

Even before B and I decided to get married, we had talked about having children, and what methods of birth control we wanted to use. Since we are both Catholic, we chose to look into Natural Family Planning (charting just like in the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility", but instead of using barrier methods during my fertile phase, we abstain). Which was all fine and good, so at my last doctor's appointment before we were engaged, I asked about coming off of the pill (we were both virgins, and we planned - and did - to stay that way until our wedding night, but I figured I'd check since I had been on it for about a year, and due to my history, I worried there might be issues in TTC, especially b/c she once made a comment about 'preserving' my fertility). She said I couldn't come off of the pill b/c I don't ovulate...okay, but why? And where does that leave us?

Fast forward a year and a half later, and we have learned I do not ovulate, but we still lack a definitive answer - current belief is a hormonal imbalance. After getting married in November 2008, we started TTC in March 2009. Six months later, we still have not been successful. After an u/s and blood work, it was determined I do not have PCOS as was originally thought, and I have no cysts. So our current plan of action per the doctor is to continue trying for another six months - if we are not pregnant by March 2010, then I will go back in to start Clomid (they want to be sure it is 'me' and not the depo (had two shots b/c second doctor didn't want me on anything with estrogen).

So here we are...temping and charting, BD, and POAS. Unfortunately, nothing in my chart has indicated ovulation, so we just keep checking, and waiting for the next cycle to start (which, thanks to the Depo, will probably be another month or so, since my last cycle was 119 days). Why POAS? Two reasons - that 'I didn't know I was pregnant show' has me freaked out, and b/c I don't know if I'm 'late' or not, so I figure better safe than sorry.

~ A

No comments:

Post a Comment